transformers, and appurtenant structures of an outdoor substation; and in the substation building a synchronous condenser is owned and operated, as required by the supply contract, to maintain the power factor.
What is called the East Hampton connection, severed July 1,1939, consisted of facilities by which the petitioner received energy from the Connecticut Power Company at 13,800 volts and transmitted it several miles to its Lees-ville substation where it was reduced to 4,600 volts and to other substations where it was reduced to 2,300 volts and supplied to customers. What is referred to as the Torrington-Winsted District connection, discontinued in June of 1941, was differently operated. Energy was purchased from the Torrington Electric Light Company, which in turn had purchased it from the Connecticut Power Company. Delivery was accepted by petitioner at the bus bar of the Torrington Company at low voltage, 2,300 volts, petitioner maintained a substation which stepped this voltage up to 27,600, at which it was transmitted about ten miles over its lines to a substation at Winsted where facilities were operated to lower the voltage to 4,600, whence it was put on distribution lines.
The Commission held in all three instances that such facilities of petitioner were “for the transmission of electric energy ... as distinguished from local distribution thereof.” It found that the energy received from the Connecticut Power Company and Torrington Company “regularly, frequently and for substantial periods of time included electric energy in substantial amounts transmitted from Massachusetts.” Hence it concluded petitioner owned facilities for transmission of energy in interstate commerce and was a “public utility” under its jurisdiction by virtue of the Act.
The other type of operation on which it predicated jurisdiction was terminated in February 1941. It consisted of sale of energy at wholesale to the Borough of